There are several things to consider when writing and sharing a recipe. The following lists essential recipe writing components that can ease the development process and make a finished piece user-friendly.
1. Help users recreate the recipe at home easily by listing the ingredients in order of use.
2. Separate different components of a recipe when listing ingredients. For example, a pie possesses a filling and crust. Group the ingredients for the filling under one heading and the items used for the crust under another.
3. Provide descriptive hints, like “cook until golden brown,” for preparation to reinforce what the food should look like when fully cooked.
4. Ask another person to review a recipe to ensure the finished piece is clear and succinct.
5. Only use imperial or metric measurements. Providing conversions as an alternative is fine, so long as the main recipe utilizes one form of measurement.
6. Write clear descriptions of how ingredients should be prepared. For instance, chopped and finely chopped illustrate two different sizes.